I am going to back track on something I wrote about selling of crown land and in this case I will make an exception.
I am urging that the Jamaican Government to undertake an EIA on GOAT island, which I am sure will not turn up too much issues and at the end of the process move to sell Goat island to clear up a part of our debt.
This would achieve a number of things in a hurry.
- Lower our Debt to GPD ratio to well below 100
- Lower our interest payment from $0.60 on every dollar to a much lower figure.
- Provide more money for capital expenditure, health, education, national security etc
- Spur economic activity given government has more money to do more things.
- Achieve IMF debt reduction ratio long before 2016
- Increase business and consumer confidence
- Put Jamaica back on the path to growth
The Chinese wants the land ( two islands), which have it sitting there ( for “donkey years) doing nothing. It about time we stop getting sentimental and do something practical to save this country from descending into anarchy.
I beg however that Robert Pickersgill and Omar Davis NOT be a part of the process in determining the sale price and or any conditions to do with the sale as their track record on matters such as these are appalling.
I am using this medium to encourage the Prime Minister and the Investment Minister to seek the services of someone who can give a fair valuation of these islands to ensure we get the best possible deal,
We need to move in a hurry because money likes a home.